Volunteer Opportunities-call 563-556-0620 today
Please give us a moment
of your time! See Below:
Volunteers are needed
for the following items:
1. Greeter at the EB Lyons Interpretive Center. Mornings or Afternoons
or all day welcome. Any day of the week is needed. Volunteers are also
needed to keep the center open during times when programs are being provided
to school classes and scouts.
2. Prairie seed collecting. Collect prairie seed starting mid August.
The seed will be used to plant 30 acres this fall and approximately 25
acres of prairie next spring. Training is provided and no experience necessary.
3. Interpreters for programs. Volunteers are needed for programs throughout
the year. Provide programs to general public, elementary, preschool classes,
scouts and other groups. Topics vary. Training is available. Most programs
are one to one and half hours in length.
4. Trail maintenance. Volunteers are needed to keep trail trimmed of tree
limbs and to pick up any litter. Once every two weeks is welcomed. You
can adopt a trail if you wish. Applications are available at the center.
5. Adopt-a-Park Program.
Adopt a portion of the Mines of Spain. Choose a trail, picnic area, road
segment, prairie, savanna, gardens, entrances and many other areas. Lets
discuss what needs to be done, you decide how often.
6. Facility Maintenance,
Help with routine or annual maintenance. Painting/staining of tables,
benches or buildings, building maintenance (inside and outside), trail
construction, display construction and much more. Many things to do all
7. Feed the critters
at the center, Assist in feeding and taking care of the fish, turtles,
snakes and more at the interpretive center. Clean and maintain cages and
aquariums. Keep the feeders full outside for the songbirds. ADOPT-AN-ANIMAL
AT THE CENTER, supply the food and other necessary items for an individual
animal or group of animals.
1. Bird feed - Thistle seed or Black Oil Sunflower seed. We use about
3000 pounds per year in the bird feeders at the interpretive center.
2. Perennial Flowers for the bird and butterfly gardens at the interpretive
center. The flowers should be part sun to shade tolerant
3. Taxidermy mounts for the interpretive center. Animal needs to be native
to the State Of Iowa.
4. Field Identification books for the center. I.D. books include birds,
flowers, rocks, trees, reptiles/amphibians.
5. Binoculars 7 x 35
6. Patio stain for benches, tables and railings throughout the park. Cedar
2006 Outstanding Group Volunteer Award to Friends of Mines of Spain
out the DNR's Volunteer of the Year 2002, click here
of The Mines of Spain, Dubuque,
IA 52003-9214, 563-556-0620